Welcome

Purpose of this blog is for me to try out recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks and hopefully I can find some really yummy, low point recipes to share. But this site is NOT an official Weight Watchers site.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Peanut Butter (Reeses) bars (8pts per serving)

Do you remember those Peanut Butter Bars that you got at the school cafeteria with lunch on rare occasions? I do and they were my absolute favorite. I loved them and craved them and they were so wonderful. On pinterest I have been seeing them EVERYWHERE, being repined. One of my favorite recipes of this repin is from Baker Lady she explains it well, easy to read, ect. Click on her name to go to her version of this recipe.
I tried them- super yummy, but very calorie heavy so I set out to adapt her recipe. Before you judge that 8 points per serving I want to point out a few things.
the Original recipe--
12 servings
calories per serving: 535 (fat and fiber not calculated)
super crazy for one dessert
I tried my hardest to bring down that number
my adjusted recipe--
12 servings
calories with all sugar substitutes: 310  fat: 5 g
calories halfsugar/half subs: 330 fat: 5 g fiber: 1


huge difference when you look at it that way but not a diet friendly dessert but better than the original.


here are my changes:

  • 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 c melted butter/margarine
  • 1 c oats (grounded in blender)
  • 1 c finely ground graham crackers (blend your own or use the pre-made stuff)
  • 1 c confectioners sugar substitute (made in blender: 3 TBS splenda, 6 TBS dry powdered milk, 6 TBS cornstarch.)
  • 1 c confectioners sugar or an additional 1 c of above substitute
  • 3/4 c peanut butter
  • topping: 2 TBS peanut butter, 3/4 c semi sweet chocolate chips
 directions:
blend up you oats and graham crackers
blend your sugar substitute
Mix them together.
Mix in apple sauce, then add the butter,
finally the peanut butter.
 smooth it out over in a 9 x13 in pan.
melt chips and mix with 
2 TBS of peanut butter
smooth is over the peanut butter base
chill in the fridge for 1 hour min.
Photo of my son eating the peanut butter base, He wanted more.
They were even approved by my anti-any-Low-calorie-low-fat food father, but they aren't exactly low calorie. Its hard with peanut butter of that magnitude and only 12 servings. 
Now if you are looking for something similar but not as heavy on the peanut butter there is a cake/bar like dessert. I have made this one many times and its a great treat.
Along with that I found this lower-calorie option for it that is lower than mine- only if you're looking at the serving size and pan size. This serving size makes 36 servings in a 15 x 10 in pan. 
the nutritional info-- 
calories: 237 fat: 8g fiber: 2g
still not as low as I'd like. I will have to look at it and try some things and see if I can take this recipe to an even lower calorie level.

No comments:

Post a Comment