Welcome

Purpose of this blog is for me to try out recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks and hopefully I can find some really yummy, low point recipes to share. But this site is NOT an official Weight Watchers site.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Fajitas-7pts


I love Mexican food. I've lived in Arizona almost my entire life. When I haven't been in Arizona I have felt the loss in my life of good Mexican food. This is not an Weight Watchers recipe. Instead only inspired by one. It was inspired by the Zesty Beef Fajitas recipe found in my book 'Weight Watchers New 365 day Menu Cookbook'. I saw it and got thinking. This recipe also complements the stuffed peppers, in that you can use the same stuff. For example: Black beans- open one can and you still won't use it all up and Rice- make a couple cups at one time and only use a cup at a time, used the other half of lb from the peppers, the other half of onion, and sweet bell peppers (we buy them in bulk or you can buy them pre-cut with onions in the frozen veggie section).
Arizona Girl's Fajitas
  • 1/2 lb ground beef
  • 1 c cooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 c black beans
  • onion cut into medium pieces
  • sweet bell peppers cut into medium pieces (I used 3 large halves-red, green, yellow)
  • 1 c water
  • 1 tbs cumin
  • 1/2 tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
Directions: cook on the stove top the onion and bell peppers (how you oil the pan is up to you, I use spray butter, olive oil (add the points), or Pam). When the veggies are almost done add in the 1/2 lb of ground beef. Make sure it is broken up as best as possible. Add salt and pepper. Let it will simmer until all the meat is browned. Once all is browned add the water, cumin, chili powder cayenne pepper, and paprika. It helps to mix all the seasons into the water first then add the water. You can use the Taco seasoning mixes but you'll have to check out what points it will add, many contain molasses and other preservatives. After you get all the seasonings spread around and simmering add the beans and rice to the pan. Let simmer for a minute or two (until all the water is absorbed).
Serving: Makes 6 servings (2/3 c each) at 4 points a serving, add in your own tortillas (our large cook yourself tortillas are 3 points each). Can be served as is or with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa (check for points), and cheese (add points).

No comments:

Post a Comment