Welcome

Purpose of this blog is for me to try out recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks and hopefully I can find some really yummy, low point recipes to share. But this site is NOT an official Weight Watchers site.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Spinach and Pasta Stuffed Peppers (5pts or 2.5pts)

I have wanted to try these for a while now. The idea came to me one night when I made made traditional Stuffed Peppers for dinner and had been talking about my lasagna. Its the rice in the Stuffed Peppers that make you feel full, the meat gives it that hearty taste, and the peppers that give the range in flavor. So on that day I was thinking, I wondered, 'how would it work if I used orzo pasta (rice like pasta) instead of rice. It intrigued me and I started thinking what would be different and what would work, and what would it taste like. The more I thought about it the more I was sure this was going to taste wonderful and they did. Here is what I came up with.
Spinach and Pasta Stuffed Peppers 
(5pts whole or 2.5pts halves)
  • 3/4 orzo (make according to box directions)
  • 2 cups steamed spinach
  • 1/2 lb of ground beef
  • 1 tbs Italian seasonings
  • 1/2 c chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 chopped large tomato (Sun dried would also work well)
  • 4 peppers (red, yellow, orange, green-your choices)
  • 2 tbs parm cheese
  • 2 cups pasta sauce
Directions:
Turn on the oven to 375 F. While the oven heats, heat the water for the orzo pasta, start steaming the spinach. Steam only until starting to wilt. Start cooking the onion, minced garlic, and ground beef. Prepare the peppers by cutting out the center. You can leave them whole (just cut off the top) or cut them in half. A whole one is 5 points each or 2.5 for the halves. I like to cut them in half. When the oven is heated, place the peppers into the oven to start cooking, cook for about 10 minutes. When your pasta is cooked, also the the ground beef, and the spinach. Mix them together, add the pasta sauce and tomato. When your peppers are ready, spoon the pasta-meat mixture into the peppers. Place in oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle a little parm on each, and serve. Can be served as a half or as a whole. Can be a great meal as a half with two low point sides.
suggested sides: salad, zucchini, baby carrots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment