Welcome

Purpose of this blog is for me to try out recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks and hopefully I can find some really yummy, low point recipes to share. But this site is NOT an official Weight Watchers site.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Italian Sausage Seasoning Mix

In our quest to eat healthier and to save money we have been learning to make our own seasoning mixes. Those packages and pre-mixtures you purchase at the store are so convenient BUT many contain a preservative (often molasses) and that adds calories. I learned that I could make my own Taco Seasoning. My husband loves Italian Sausage, but buying it is expensive compared purchasing the ground beef and I think the way sausage is packaged is gross to handle. One day, after I had made our Taco Seasoning my husband had a light bulb moment- we could make our own seasoning and put it on our ground beef. Therefore it would taste like Italian Sausage.
Italian Sausage Seasoning Mix
use 2 tsp or 2/3 Tbs per 1/2-1 lb of meat (to your taste)

  • 2 tbs Fennel
  • 2 tbs dried minced garlic
  • 1 tbs black pepper
  • 1 tbs Paprika
  • 1 tbs Oregano
  • 1 tbs Basil

If you are someone (like myself) who likes the taste of Fennel but do not like the large crunchy thing in your food-suggestion: put the Fennel into a grinder (food processor, coffee grinder). Even if you don't mind the texture of non-ground fennel, try grinding it, it helps the flavors come through with less in each serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment