Welcome

Purpose of this blog is for me to try out recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks and hopefully I can find some really yummy, low point recipes to share. But this site is NOT an official Weight Watchers site.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Chicken and Corn Bread Pie-6pts

This is really cheap to make and super feeling for so little points. My husband says its a winner because it tastes great and is really filling, and  points that leave room for a skinny cow for dessert.
Chicken and Corn Bread Pie
6 points, 2 servings

  • 2 tsp spray butter
  • 5 oz diced chicken (start with pre-cooked or un-cooked)
  • 1/2 c diced carrots (I like to put more)
  • 1/2 c diced celery (I like to put more)
  • 1/4 c diced onion (again I do more)
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp thyme
  • 1 cup canned ready-to-serve chicken broth* or 2 cups of water
  • 1/4 c flour (divided- 1tbs, 2tbs)
  • 1/2 c buttermilk**
  • 1 egg whites (if you use the yoke, add a point to each serving)
  • 1/3 c uncooked yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda

*Instead of canned broth, I use water. I put it in much earlier and let the seasonings flavor my water, saves both the calories of the broth (not much but still) and is cheaper than buying another ingredient.
**If you use ready made buttermilk from the store the points are drastically different. At 2 points to each serving. If you make it yourself, using milk (any but whole milk) and either lemon juice or vinegar (1 cup to 1 tbs).


Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a pot on the stove top, take your diced chicken. If it hasn't been cooked yet, cook it now. Brown the chicken. Now take your chicken, already in the pot, add the water (if you plan on using broth, don't add the broth, instead add 1/4 cup water), carrots, celery, onion, garlic, spices, and 1 tbs of flour. Let it all simmer, cook until the chicken is finished cooking and the veggies have softened.  Since I use water instead of broth, I let it all simmer a bit longer to flavor the water. If you are using broth, turn off the heat and add the broth. Next prepare the corn bread. Do this by mixing the butter,  buttermilk, and egg whites in small bowl. In another bowl mix the dry ingredients, 2 tbs of flour, baking soda, cornmeal. Mix the wet and dry together, stir until all mixed. Pour chicken stew into two sprayed casserole bowls, then pour cornbread mixture over the top of the chicken stew. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Side note about casserole bowls, I used 2 cup pyrex bowls, this was my second time making it. The first time I used one 2 1/2 qt corning-ware dish, so instead of two separate servings I made one two servings. The only problem is the dish was too wide, keep in mind that your corn bread mix is exactly enough to cover the top of a pot pie size dish, but otherwise its it won't change the taste. 
If you make this the same as I did (broth doesn't matter), this is only 6 points. If you use a whole egg, its 7 points. If you use store bought buttermilk and non spray butter the whole thing is 9 points. If you only substitute back in the butter then 7 points (unless its another light butter).

No comments:

Post a Comment