Welcome

Purpose of this blog is for me to try out recipes from my Weight Watchers cookbooks and hopefully I can find some really yummy, low point recipes to share. But this site is NOT an official Weight Watchers site.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beef Kebabs-6pts


When I saw this recipe I remembered the kebab racks that we got for our wedding, the ones we used once and have been sitting in our cupboards since. What a wonderful idea, make use of things we own. The recipe only had meat, onions, red peppers, and mushroom caps. But I like my skewers with lots of veggies. The recipe also suggested marinading the meat overnight, I decided to make it with less time than that and instead I only marinaded it for 30 minutes.
Beef Kebabs
(4 servings)
  • 1 onion cubed
  • grated zest of lemon
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 1 tsp chopped mint
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 lb boneless beef tenderloin, cut into ~1inch cubes. (I used chuck roast, to cut cubes, other beefs can be used, just make sure the points are right).
  • 1 bay leaf
  • veggies cut into 1 inch sizes (mushroom caps, green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, onion, tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, just about anything that sounds good to you. My mom likes to put pineapples on her skewers-put that changes the points just a big).
directions: blend in a food processor the onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, cloves, cumin, thyme, mint, paprika, cayenne pepper. Place sauce and meat into a plastic bag. Place in the fridge overnight (or 30 minutes but it won't be as juicy). Remove meat from fridge, take meat from bag, pour all extra juices into a small sauce pan, add bay leaf to sauce and bring sauce to boil, let boil for 3 minutes. Take meat and veggies, place on skewers. Broil. I cut everything smaller pieces, and stuffed it on the skewers. It made a lot more skewers. In fact I used only 8 oz of meat, and got 6 skewers out of it. Cook throughly. Baste skewers with left over marinade while cooking, any marinade leftover at that point serve on the side. Each skewer (when making 4 skewers with the full lb of meat) is one serving.
Ideas as sides- couscous, wild rice, hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment